5/24/2013

Orange. Orange? Hm.

We had a poll. We decided we'd work with a color, we voted on it ... and orange it was. Orange is not my favorite color, probably because I feel it makes me look sick. Then again I think the same about yellow, and I have always loved yellow. When I was a kid, my yellow crayon was the shortest one by far because I loved to draw suns with lots of long and short rays and smiling faces.

You don't know it yet, but this was a very clever bridge to this month's JAC blog carnival. Not just mentioning the challenge - make something with the color orange - but also mentioning suns.
By the way, even if it has no bearing at all on this post, Buster just had a carrot for his afternoon snack. Carrots are orange. Just saying.
Back to the suns.

I had the choice of different orange beads. Delicas and seed beads in an overpowering silver lined orange variety, irregular carnelian beads, and sweet, tiny carnelian rounds.
As so often when I have no plan at all, I started putting orange beads on my wire, made the first loop, a few chain stitches and then stared at it for a while. That's the part when Mabel is taking over and makes things happen. At first the idea was probably to make an edge from the orange beads, but after a few rows only of silver they wanted to take up more space. After even a few more rows I began to see the sun, and that's when I cut off the wire and added red carnelian to give it just a touch of that color graduated look.
In the end there just had to be something dangling in the center. I chose the bead with the most beautiful color pattern.
An orange neckwire matching the beads perfectly makes the necklace complete.

Voilà, it wasn't as difficult as I had thought after all. Here you go. Orange.



Here are the links to the other posts, more will be added as they follow.
N Valentine Studio
Jewelry Art by Dawn 
Ponder the Cat

4 comments:

  1. does look good
    there are shedes of orange which i like. especially pumpkin shades and colors :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to eat pumpkin, does that count, too? :-D

      Delete
  2. Cat, I love your orange sun!

    After drooling over it, I've decided that poor orange doesn't get the admiration or respect it deserves. You've really shown us what orange can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn! I was surprised myself. Teaches you to think outside of your box more often, huh?

      Delete